Skills and abilities: Excellent organisational, communication and leadership skills, IT literacy and budgeting skills.
What you’ll be doing: In the role of Project Manager, you could work on a variety of projects in different industries or sectors, including building projects and IT systems. Typical day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Determining the aims of the client or business
- Planning different project stages, and deciding resource requirements
- Agreeing prices with contractors and suppliers
- Choosing and leading a project team
- Monitoring progress, quality, and costs
- Analysing risks, and reporting regularly to senior managers and the client
Career progression: You may decide to enhance your project management skills through a focussed qualification. With experience, you may rise to the position of Senior Project Manager, or choose to work as a freelance consultant.