Skills and abilities: Excellent communications skills, with an accurate and organised approach. Strong problem-solving ability, capable of negotiating and meeting deadlines.
What you’ll be doing: You may work across a variety of different databases, such as a company’s customer records, and may update existing databases, or create new systems. Typical day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Establishing the purpose and intended users of a database
- Structuring the database and organising the display of data, including search results
- Building trial versions, testing for bugs, and finding solutions
- Populating the database with new data, or transferring existing data
- Implementing security measures and creating back-up files
Career progression: With experience, you could develop into roles such as Senior System Analyst, or other areas of project management, network management, or web development. Alternatively, you may decide to move into consultancy or find freelance opportunities.
BSc (Hons) Computing (Information Management)
Gain the skills needed to use computing knowledge to manage information, and become a highly sought-after graduate across a range of industries.