Skills and abilities: Mathematical skills, with strong measuring judgement. A firm sense of shape, proportion, and detail. Technical drawing skills, with ability to interpret work of others.
What you’ll be doing: This role is required within different areas of the fashion industry, including the mass market, tailoring, etc. Typical day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Pattern drafting, shaping and pinning material to correctly fit the pattern
- Arranging or altering pattern ‘blocks’ into a style
- Co-operating with machinists to produce clothing pattern samples
- Using both hand drawing and computer-aided design (CAD) to design some patterns
- Working within a team to produce the final pattern
Career progression: Options for progression include Head Pattern Cutter or, with experience and training, Fashion Designer or Buyer.