Skills and abilities: Strong organisational and problem-solving skills. Sound judgement and excellent communication.
What you’ll be doing: Duties of a Company Secretary (also known as a Chartered Secretary) are usually legal and financial. Typical day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Advising directors and board members regarding their legal responsibilities
- Dealing with lawyers, auditors, and other professionals
- Sending company information to Companies House or the Stock Exchange
- Preparing annual company reports, administering shares, and paying dividends
- Handling payroll, budgeting, ensuring adherence to health and safety policies
Career progression: With experience, you may become Chief Executive or Managing Director of a company, or alternatively perform freelance secretarial work for several smaller companies.